Dunamis Therapy Hub offers an exciting Diploma in Humanistic Creative Counselling. Our in depth counselling diploma course will take your therapy skills to the next level.
The next course will be commencing September 2021. Ideal for those who have completed a sixty hour certificate course and now want to take the next step towards a career as a counsellor.
Prior to undertaking our diploma course, students will need to download and read our Pre-Course Information document.
Have you completed a 60 hour Counselling Certificate?
Want to find out more about our diploma course?
Why not book onto our next “Come and See” Day – (via Zoom ) – Next Date: 19th March 9.30am – 10.30am
Use the contact form to let us know you want to “come and see” and to get the zoom details.
Please be aware that we are now interviewing for places on our Diploma course September 21. They are already booking up so please contact as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
How do I become a therapist?
There are a number of steps on the journey to becoming a qualified and accredited counsellor.
If you are considering undertaking a diploma in counselling then you should have already completed a 60 hour certificate course in counselling skills. If you haven’t yet done this then you can find out more about our certificate course here – counselling certificate.
By studying with Dunamis to do your diploma you will undertake humanistic creative therapeutic learning. You will train in Person Centered Therapy, Gestalt Therapy and learn about creative therapies and existential ideas. You can find out more about how to become a counsellor/therapist here – how do I become a counsellor?
Who is this course for and do I need a degree to become a counsellor?
- Anyone who wishes to become a Fully Qualified Counsellor.
- Those that are already within the field of Counselling & wish to update their skills.
- Those that are already a therapist and wish to add Counselling to the existing skills
- You do not need a degree to study to be a counsellor/psychotherapist.
- However you will need a good level of English and numeracy and be able to understand and clearly communicate in English.
- You will need to pass a pre-course interview before being accepted onto the course. Interviews for Sept 2021 intake commence 5th March 2021. Please contact us if you are considering our course and would like to arrange an interview.
Our residential weekend takes place in the second year of our course. They provide a great opportunity for students to reflect and deepen their knowledge.
Course content summary
- £6,800 – This includes a minimum of 430 hours training and a residential weekend in the second year.
- Personal therapy 40 weeks a year with an experienced integrative therapist.
- Supervision costs
- Travel costs
- BACP student membership
- A joint research project
- 3 essays
- A journal of the week’s session and student’s thoughts
- Weekly online learning checks
- A community involvement project
- 100 placement hours
- Case study of a taped client for twelve sessions
- Dunamis offers help with finding placements though it is the student’s responsibility to find their placement.
- Students will usually be signed off as ready to find a placement towards the end of term 2 (into term 3) having met the following criteria:
- Competent skills
- Understanding contracts
- Understanding the ethical frame work
- Understanding endings
- Working in an agency, (at least 6 months skills practice with peers)
Students skills will be regularly observed by tutors and feedback given . Placement hours may continue after the end of the taught part of the course. Students are allowed two years from completion of the course to apply and complete their final Dunamis exam
The exam is in two parts; part one is a short online theory test which can be completed at the end of the course. Part two is a remotely viewed video of live practice, with a role playing client, followed by supervision on the work. The examining panel will evaluate the work when all of the criteria for the Diploma has been completed.
Welcome to Secure Base – Term 1
Term one secures your understanding of the three core modalities – Person Centred – a theory to create the climate to help others, Gestalt – a theory that enables creative ways of working, and Existential – approaches that considers the questions of life.
Here you begin to learn the basics, sessions 1-12, including orientating you to the course and the administration requirements to ensure you are well equipped for the climb.
Acclimatise – Term 2
Now out on the lower slopes we get a feel for how theories are roped together as an integrated whole. Session 13 – 24 weave together the Historical Context and thoughts about Human Development, Feelings, Concerns of Death and Loss, Attachment, Creativity, Client assessment including CORE, Ethics, Symbolism and Metaphor and Group review.
Dig Deep – Term 3
The climb gets a little tougher now. So we need to dig deep into the terrain of our own emotional resilience to keep our foot hold, as we consider the impact of Relationships (Including Co-Dependency), Couples Families, Abuse, Assessment, Research, Suicide and Self Harm, Anxiety and Depression.
Learning to use Supervision well and understanding helping ourselves through Body Work, and ending with Love, makes these heights well worth the climb.
Summit – Term 4
You have arrived at the top of the mountain.
Your skills are being integrated into the counsellor you are on the brink of becoming. So we spend some time considering who that person now is. We do this by looking at Sexuality Gender, Difference & Diversity, Disability, DSM and Meds, Egan and Case Study, Trauma, Psychodynamic Transference, Creativity Self Directed Study, and your Spirit and Soul.
Respect – Term 5
Respect! Respect of the mountain i.e the profession and respect of yourself!
You made it ‘Made it ma, top of the world!’ – James Cagney – White heat
So, now we consider Endings, Group Process Assessment, Self-care and Professionalism, the Final Push, Love and Forgiveness, Creativity, Other Ways Up the Mountain, Narcissism and Shadow, Private Practise, Preparing to Practice, Look How Far You Have Come, and then the Last Day. But not your last day with us, we hope, as we want to see you again. At CPD studio days, our networking club – Personography, and of course at that little matter of the exam!
Counselling Diploma in Humanistic Creative Counselling
Our course is taught over 5 terms and will teach you about Person Centered, Gestalt and Existential approaches.
After each lesson you will have an online learning check to complete in order to check your understanding and progress.
What’s on offer?
- A diploma in counselling
- An innovative programme
- A 5 term course
- Supportive and experienced tutors
- Online learning checks
- Competitive pricing
Term dates (Every Thursday):
- Term 1 – 30th September 2021 – 16th December 2021 (12 weeks)
- Term 2 – 13th January 2022 – 31st March 2022 (12 weeks)
- Term 3 – 28th April 2022 – 14th July 2022 (12 weeks)
- Term 4 – 29th September 2022 – 15th December 2022 (12 weeks)
- Term 5 – 12th January 2023 – 30th March 2023 (12 weeks)
- Residential 16th – 17th October 2021
- Residential 15th – 16th October 2022
- Experiential Day Saturday 12th March 2022
- Experiential Day Saturday 11th March 2023
Diploma Price / Tuition Fees
All students need to pass a pre-course interview before being accepted onto the course. The interview is informal and will last approximately an hour. There is a group work element and an individual element. The purpose of the interview is to ensure that you are ready for the course and will get the best out of it.
If you wish to be invited for an interview please download, print, complete and return the following form – download form
Once accepted onto the course we require a £1600 deposit followed by the first payment of £3600 a month prior to the course.
The final payment of £1600 is to be made prior to the start of Term 4.
For more information about payment or to discuss payment options then please contact us.
The Diploma in Creative Humanistic therapy is not yet an accredited course however students will be supported by our tutors to apply for BACP recognition.
The support offered will include but is not limited to:
- The tutor team supporting the student in practicing for the online certificate of proficiency
- The use of a quite room
- The use of a computer and web cam as appropriate
When the student has completed the Diploma criteria they may then apply for the BACP on line test for proficiency and on successful completion will be invited by the BACP to join the register.
Dunamis Therapy Hub offers a humanistic creative therapeutic diploma in counselling, studio events for continual professional development and therapeutic groups. Our groups cover issues such as depression, anxiety and the challenges of parenting.
Based in Crowborough, East Sussex, we are passionate about writing, philosophical thinking, spiritual connections, creativity, imagination and research.